What a fantastic week for the Biden presidency! The accomplishments made this week makes Trump’s presidency look the the immoral, incompetent failure that it was. Trump inherited a stable, prosperous America from President Obama while Joe Biden inherited an America dying by the hundreds of thousands from Trump’s disastrous handling of the COVID pandemic, historic job loss, and an economy in free fall. Biden’s wins for the past 2 week are:
- Ayman al-Zawahiri, the leader of Al Qaeda, was killed by an American drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan
- Passing the CHIPS and Science Act of 2022 to compete with China in the production of semi-conductors
- Passing the PACT Act, legislation that expands health care for veterans who developed illnesses from burn pit fume exposure in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Gas prices have been falling for over 50 days straight
- The Senate passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, a landmark health care, tax, and climate package.
- Passed the first gun reform bill in decades; the bipartisan Safer Communities Act.
These accomplishments by the Biden Administration increase the odds of convincing some Republican and Independent voters that democrats will deliver legislation that will improve the quality of their lives. At the same time,e same time, Republicans will keep whining and lying about a stolen election and plotting to take away the rights of immigrants, minorit,ies and women.
- Reduce the deficit by $300 billion
- Allocate $369 to climate change programs
- Allow Medicare for the first time in history to negotiate with big pharmaceutical companies on inflated drug pricing and puts caps on specific drug like insulin
- Enact a 15% minimum tax on corporations
- Close corporate tax loopholes
- Extend Affordable Care Act subsidies for three years
The Congressional Budget office declared “The $485 billion of new costs would be offset with $790 billion of additional revenue and savings over a decade.” Despite the benefits this bill delivers, the Republican base votes believing only what its representatives tell them. They don’t read, research, or challenge information because they enjoy the hate-based, hyper-partisan ideology of the Trump Republican party. For example, the legislative accomplishments by Trump during his presidency ignored the kitchen table issues that President Biden’s policies are committed to delivering to the average American.
- The Tax Cut And Jobs Act of 2017 gave significant tax cuts to the rich and corporations and set an expiration date of 2025 for tax benefits for individuals and families
- Signed an executive order banning diversity training which would limit the teaching of America’s racial history
- Signed an executive order instructing EPA regulators to rewrite rules curbing U.S. carbon emissions and other; environmental regulations.
- Attempted to pass the American Healthcare Act of 2017, which would have repealed the Affordable Care Act
- The RAISE Act of 2017 (Reforming American Immigration for a Strong Economy Act) aimed to reduce legal immigration by 50% by halving the number of green cards issued.
The mid-terms are looking more and more like the democrats will retain control of Congress. The wacky extremist GOP senatorial candidates, the movement in red states to oppose the Republican led ban on a woman’s right to reproductive freedom, the GOP Senators opposition to lowering the price of insulin, the alliances with dictators who oppose democracy, and the “big lie” that the 2020 election was stolen, make voting for a Republican sounds more dangerous and unpatriotic than ever before.